1. Knowing how to think with a mindset based on –
- Setting the objective with a key metric
- Adding a zero to the key metric
- Working backwards to decide on the new activities needed to achieve the objective / metric
This is important to “ Innovate for Impact “ with a future oriented approach and fresh perspective with a mindset for exponential growth and an openness for new ways to create wealth
…. instead of the typical innovation approach that is – today centric / historically based / incremental change.
Fundamentally it’s about thinking and planning differently to be much better positioned to achieve big results by driving meaningful change and overcoming the numerous obstacles to realize success – financial and intellectual.
An example of this is the “ Mouse in the Maze “ puzzle whereby to find the path you can –
A. Begin at the start (entry to the maze) and eventually get to the end (the mouse)
– or –
B. Begin with the mouse (the destination / objective) and work backward to the start
…. with goal oriented thinking and knowing where you are now, it’s much easier and quicker to have a path forward.
This is analogous to ‘ Plan the Work ’ then ‘ Work the Plan ’ – either with specific objectives or in setting a new direction
2. Being good at identifying and engaging with “ Top talent “
A. Look for evidence of a person with exceptional –
- Learning ability and capacity
- Aspirations / Need to produce meaningful results
- Sense of accountability
B. To confirm they are exceptional, have them indicate –
- What are their proudest achievements ? Why ?
- What are their objectives – in the short term ? In the long term ?
- What are the most difficult problems they have solved ? How did they solve them ?
…. both personally and professionally
C. To further confirm they are exceptional, give them a challenging task
…. ie: something related to the future of the organization, identifying and scoping a new major opportunity, making innovation more rewarding, etc.
Feb 16, 2021 CAIL Innovation commentary firstname.lastname@example.org